FORT LEE, Va. (December 8, 2011)--The flag football championship showdown between PMO/217 and the 108th was a rematch from an earlier playoff round, and the 108th wanted to avenge its earlier loss and earn a repeat title of intramural champions during the Nov. 21 game.

Earlier in the night, the 108th defeated CASCOM, 20-12, for right to play in the championship game. PMO and the 108th faced off earlier in the playoffs as the only remaining unbeaten teams. In their first meeting, the game resembled a rugby match as each team tried to physically impose its will on the other. PMO outlasted the 108th in the first contest by a score of 14-13.

In the championship game, the 108th had the ball first with an attempt to put points on the scoreboard. After gaining a short first down, the 108th punted on their first possession as a delay of game penalty crippled their drive. Taking possession of the game ball, PMO/217 marched down the field, mainly using handoffs and option running plays. The drive seemed destined for the end zone before quarterback Kenny Johnson rolled to his right, lofting an ill-advised throw into coverage that was plucked out of the air by 108th player Calvin Irving.

On the 108th's ensuing drive Carmen Blas threw a deep pass to Irving in double coverage who made a spectacular catch over both defenders. Two plays later, Blas dumped a pass to Monterio Ford for a touchdown; Ford also scored the one point conversion, putting the 108th up 7-0.

PMO wouldn't go away without a fight. Johnson scampered up the sideline as his flags fell on their own. He shot past all but two 108th defenders who tagged him after a 30-yard first down run. The ground attack of PMO caused problems for the 108th defense on its way to a touchdown and one point conversion, tying the game 7-7 with less than a minute before halftime. The 108th failed to score with the final possession of the first half, leaving the game a tie with another half to play.

In the second half, PMO stuck with its same successful formula of running the ball. They ran right down to the red zone where the 108th made a key fourth down stop on PMO's opening drive of the second half. Johnson found an open Keshawn Napper in the back of the end zone who couldn't stay in bounds as he leaped for the pass.

The 108th constructed a great drive, turning multiple third downs into first downs but failing to score. PMO made a strong defensive stand in the red zone, stopping 108th Quarterback Blas at the goal line. Blas' flags fell en route to the end zone; he was tagged on the one-yard line.

PMO responded with another well engineered drive. The team moved the ball down the field, resulting in a touchdown. Jamon Griffin dragged his feet as he gained possession in the end zone to give PMO a 13 -7 lead. The one point conversion attempt failed.

With little time left, the 108th looked to take the lead late in the game, but PMO had other plans. Cassius Williams intercepted a pass from Blas and heaved ball to a tightly covered Irving. The interception put the proverbial nail in coffin, sealing a PMO championship victory.