FORT LEE, Va. (March 28, 2013) -- The Fort Lee Directorate of Public Works is mandated by regulation to reduce energy consumption post-wide. It only makes sense to promote energy conservation as a means to that end.

Conservation can come in many forms; reduction of electric consumption, reduction in natural gas consumption, reduction in water usage, and increased recycling of cardboard, paper, aluminum and other reusable products.

DPW emphasizes normal conservation measures like turning off interior lights in all unoccupied areas even when one intends to return to the area. Computers and monitors should be turned off every day when not in use as well, if it complies with network maintenance policies.

Any equipment that is not Energy star rated and does not have a sleep mode should be powered down overnight or when not in use for long periods of time. You can also save energy by not leaving doors to temperature-conditioned spaces open – at no time should they be propped open to permit easier access. These tips and others can be found in Fort Lee Energy Conservation Measures – Garrison Commander Policy 10-6.

Fort Lee is doing very well in complying with the conservation mandate, but there is still much that can be done. Energy waste can be found everywhere if you take the time to look. The following are facts concerning energy conservation and energy waste:

The United States has about 5 percent of the world’s population, yet we consume about 25 percent of the world’s energy.

More than 90 percent of all the energy we use in the United States comes from non-renewable resources like coal, natural gas, oil and nuclear fission.

Paint, plastic and ink are products of natural gas.

Lights consume about 20 percent of all the energy used in the U.S.

Only about 10 percent of the energy used by a bulb creates light, the other 90 percent creates heat.

If you replace 25 percent of your light bulbs with fluorescents, you can save about 20 percent on your lighting bill.

Compact florescent bulbs last five times longer than a conventional bulb and uses 70 percent less energy.

Compact florescent light bulbs save money on energy costs by using 75 percent less energy and labor costs. They can pay for themselves in less than a year.

If everyone in the U.S. changed out just one light to one that is a CFB, we would save enough energy to light seven million homes and prevent greenhouse gas emissions equivalent to a million cars.

A one-quarter inch crack under your front door will waste as much energy as a two-by-two hole in your wall.

A 10-minute shower can use more than 50 gallons of water.

Computer monitors waste more than $900 million in electricity per year because:

Sixty percent of all computers and monitors are left on at night.

Forty percent of all monitors are not enabled for power management.

This electricity wasted is equivalent to nine million tons of carbon dioxide emissions per year or the emissions of 1.5 million automobiles.

Everyone can do something to reduce our energy consumption here on post and at home, thus ensuring clean, reliable energy for future generations. Contact the Directorate of Public Works energy manager at (804) 734-4100 if you have question or concerns on energy related issues or if you need assistance about determining what you can do to reduce your energy consumption.