FORT LEE, Va. (Aug. 29, 2013) -- It’s back to school time again. Our bus stops will soon be very busy places in the mornings and afternoons with many zealous children ready for an exciting new academic year. The Safety Office is asking everyone to assist with the effort to make Fort Lee’s bus stops and neighborhoods safe for the children.
Make a special effort to watch out for the little ones waiting for their bus or darting across roadways. Drivers pay particular attention when maneuvering through congested intersections like the traffic that’s close to the A Avenue Gate, and always obey the speed limit in post housing areas, particularly during school pick-up and drop-off times – Monday-Friday.
Other reminders and driving tips that will keep our youngsters safe this school year include the following:
• Be aware of children walking to or from bus stops. Beware of stragglers or slow walkers.
• Do not pass stopped school buses.
• Obey the bus caution lights and stop signs.
• Follow at a safe distance. Buses make frequent stops.
• Be patient.
• Reduce your speed near the housing areas, especially when approaching bus stops.
• Use extra caution during inclement weather conditions and poor visibility.
Because small children are impulsive and less cautious around traffic, carefully consider whether or not your child is ready to walk to the bus stop without adult supervision.
Teach children to do the following:
• Wait for the bus to stop before approaching it from the curb.
• Check to see that no other traffic is coming before crossing.
• Make sure to always remain in clear view of the bus driver.
• Stay away from the bus until it comes to a complete stop and the driver signals you to enter.
• When being dropped off, exit the bus and walk five giant steps away from the vehicle before stopping. Keep a safe distance between you and the bus.
• Stay away from the bus until the driver gives his/her signal that it is OK to approach.
• Be aware of the street traffic around you. Not all drivers follow the laws about passing stopped buses.
• Wear bright-colored clothing to increase visibility.