FORT LEE, Va. (Dec. 14, 2017) -- New gate hours will go into effect Wednesday and continue through Jan. 1.
The Provost Marshal Office announced the temporary change late last week, noting that lighter commuter traffic and fewer military training activities over the holidays will make the impact negligible. Reducing the gate hours also permits adjustments to duty schedules so security personnel manning the access control points can spend more time with their families over the Christmas and New Year’s breaks.
Most significant among the changes is the closure of Temple Avenue Gate. The PMO is asking Ordnance Campus employees scheduled to work over the holidays to access post via the Sisisky or Lee Avenue gates and use the flyover bridge along 11th Street to reach their place of duty. As a side note, physical training route restrictions for the flyover bridge are suspended during this period.
Other changes are as follows:
• A Avenue Gate will open one hour later (6 a.m.) on weekdays. The closing time of 8 p.m. will not change. The gate is closed on weekends.
• Lee Avenue Gate will open one hour later (6 a.m.) on weekdays. The closing time of 8 p.m. will not change, and the operating hours of 6 a.m. - 8 p.m. on weekends will remain the same.
• Mahone Avenue Gate will close two hours earlier (5 a.m. - 9 p.m.) on weekdays. Its weekend and holiday hours of 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. will not change.
• Sisisky Gate will continue 24-hour operations as the main ACP for Fort Lee. Jackson Circle Gate also remains open around the clock for residents and guest of the housing area.
• The Shop Road Gate closed earlier this month for site upgrades that are projected for completion in late January. Commercial truck traffic is being diverted to the Sisisky ACP.
• The Visitor Control Center adjacent to Lee Avenue Gate will open one hour later (7 a.m. - 8 p.m.) on weekends and holidays.
As a reminder, visitors who do not have a DOD identification card will need to be cleared by the VCC in order to receive a post pass that will enable access to the installation. Housing residents expecting non-DOD guests over the holiday weekends are asked to keep the adjusted gate and VCC hours in mind when planning arrival times to avoid access delays.
For more information about installation entry requirements, visit www.lee.army.mil/pmo/access.aspx.